As well as launching the Second Edition rules in Beta, we have also launched this new forum, which is also running as a Beta and is subject to changes :)
Second Edition BETA is here! - http://www.wildwestexodus.com/content/66-rules

Wayward 8 Re-Sculpt!

While we are all having fun playing Beta Second Edition, please remember that Wild West Exodus is about Big Damn Heroes...

Check out our updated Wayward Eight!

We are extremely proud of our re-sculpted Wayward Eight and are excited to bring these to you all soon - it's truly been a labour of love.

What do you think of them? Let us know ;)

8.jpg 186.6K

Comments

• I'm incredibly disappointed that this re-sculpt means the women get less clothes. Is this the predominant 'artistic choice' you are going to make with your female models in the new edition?

• edited May 18

@Spinebuster said:
    I'm incredibly disappointed that this re-sculpt means the women get less clothes. Is this the predominant 'artistic choice' you are going to make with your female models in the new edition?

Really? 2 are fully dressed (one with a cape) one appears to be scantily clad and one is wearing a tank top with full pants. Have you never been around women in hot climates? Its pretty much shorts and tank tops unless they are in a professional setting.

• All 4 women in the gang lost clothes to varying degrees, whether it was their undershirt being cut down to mid-boob, to losing their jacket and shirt entirely. Sierra changed from a fully dressed woman to one with a short cropped leather vest-shirt and a dress that is torn in the front as seen on her stat card art.

If your argument is 'hot climates', why are the men all wearing heavy leather and metal armor?

• I am with Spinebuster on this. Thematically it makes no sense either. This isn't Hollywood, it is the wild west.

• River was initially warrior nation (maybe she's a watcher mimic now, we don't know yet). If you've seen the warrior nation minis, many are half naked, or have more on than accurate time period braves. All have more than enough for appropriate coverage and don't need to be wearing snow suits. If you are going with the wild west historical aspect... well... women wore large dresses, didn't fight in battles, etc. There is nothing wrong here, and you can paint on more if you wish.

Remember that this game is only semi wild west. It initially was us-history based in the west (characters, armies, etc). However even outlaw minis started to deviate from this. It also includes aliens, Spanish conquistadors, knightly priests, azteks in the future, eastern samorai, western civilization (Dr carpathian and his crew), royalty, pirates, cowboys, and much more.

I think the minis are absolutely perfect (really like zoe, jayne, and the captain!!!). I am beyond excited for another wayward eight set and will be getting two (like I did for the first set during the first kickstarter)!! I can't wait to see the seven set coming as well. If it is true the wayward eight and seven are together in a starter, I'll probably die of extacy. Wayland has knocked this out of the park, they have been doing an amazing job and I am thankful for all they have done for the game (coming from a fan since the very beginning).

My only issue is that I have to wait months to get them, as they aren't in production yet :(

• edited May 19

@Spinebuster said:
    All 4 women in the gang lost clothes to varying degrees, whether it was their undershirt being cut down to mid-boob, to losing their jacket and shirt entirely. Sierra changed from a fully dressed woman to one with a short cropped leather vest-shirt and a dress that is torn in the front as seen on her stat card art.

If your argument is 'hot climates', why are the men all wearing heavy leather and metal armor?

Well maybe because I have been around women and have talked to them. Several women I dated over the years admitted they like to show skin to manipulate men. But maybe you are right , there should not be any femininity and the feminine form must be looked down upon like it was in the 1600's .

I like the sculpts I will be getting a set.

After all of that being said. Explain to me if you look at the hollywood award / red carpet shows, where people choose their own outfit, why do a bunch of the ladies wear scantily clad dresses see through and men pretty much are all covered up? Not every lady dresses that way but alot do.

Or at the beaches where women could wear one piece suits or even swim trunks and a top + shirt they choose to wear a 2 piece?

Its what some women do, if they have it, they flaunt it. That is not a bad thing.

• From a female perspective (which I am entirely qualified to give), there are plenty of female characters who are less skimpily dressed and the odd handful of those with more flesh are just fine. The whole point is it's not 187X as our history books recorded it, so in context, people in the WWX-verse are likely used to such displays. I am also sure (in fact certain in one character's case) that one or two of the named characters are considered a little 'old-fashioned' in the way they view the world.

If all the female characters were mostly naked, or if the female characters felt shoehorned in, I would feel less comfortable with the setting. A popular miniature wargame which is notorious for its lack of female units doesn't have the advantage that WWX has, which is establishing equality across the board from the outset. For me, in my capacity of Being Female, I'm just fine with that!

"There's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No, I'm sure of it, I hate him."

• I'd like to see different female body types and a greater age range. It's something I'm keeping in mind when including original female characters in the fiction.

"Oh you can trust me, I like it here. There's a certain satisfaction to be gained from knowing you work behind the curtain of your enemy's moral superiority. Can you imagine the look on Nikolai's face if he ever found out what you were up to?" Doctor Jean-Antoine Saule

• edited May 19

@Huckleberry said:
    From a female perspective (which I am entirely qualified to give), there are plenty of female characters who are less skimpily dressed and the odd handful of those with more flesh are just fine. The whole point is it's not 187X as our history books recorded it, so in context, people in the WWX-verse are likely used to such displays. I am also sure (in fact certain in one character's case) that one or two of the named characters are considered a little 'old-fashioned' in the way they view the world.

If all the female characters were mostly naked, or if the female characters felt shoehorned in, I would feel less comfortable with the setting. A popular miniature wargame which is notorious for its lack of female units doesn't have the advantage that WWX has, which is establishing equality across the board from the outset. For me, in my capacity of Being Female, I'm just fine with that!

I agree with this. Everyone is not scantily clad but having some, is a good thing.

• I 100% agree that it's fine to have some 'scantily clad' models - a diversity of looks among the product line is a good idea. The updates to Sierra, K-Free, and River are perfectly fine (I actually like the change of River to being more alien looking), and aren't really of any bad note until looked at as a whole unit (and the overall art scheme of the game as a whole).

Because really, it's Zarelda's update that was very jarring to me. She had a sweet coat and shirt in her previous sculpt and lost it all to end up in a seashell sports bra and pants (which is a weird look, especially for someone who gets shot at for a living). Personally, I think that's gauche, and it's disappointing to see when the 2E update was taking good steps to remove some of the elements of the game that were flat-out offensive.

I do believe that the ratio of female models in the game that are sensibly clad or pin-up style currently is weighted more to the latter, which is why I asked if the game was going full-on in that style. It's perfectly fine if that's what the game wants to do, it is the designer's right. I just want to know so, before I invest more time and money into it.

• Since you are updating them.... Give them a RIverboat. Call it the Tranquility ;p But I mean it, give them a Riverboat. Even if it is just in the fluff. Especially in the fluff. Riverboat

• Have you read Marcus Wayward's bio on the faction guide?

Just sayin'.

"There's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No, I'm sure of it, I hate him."

• I think the new sculps are brilliant and fit perfectly with the style of the game. I just want to know when they'll be available to purchase!

Cheers,

Kev